Homes for Sale in Gwinnett County, Georgia
Welcome to Gwinnett County, Georgia
THE TAB TO THE RIGHT WILL DISPLAY THE CURRENT LISTINGS OF HOMES AND LAND IN GWINNETT COUNTY.
Gwinnett County is one of the fastest growing regions in Georgia. As of 2014, the population was estimated to be 907,135, which makes it the second most populated county in Georgia. Gwinnett is considered part of the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell Georgia Metropolitan area. It’s economic growth, amenities, award-winning school system and natural beauty make it an attractive location to raise a family.
Gwinnett County was created in 1818 and named after Button Gwinnett, one of the three signers of the Declaration of Independence from Georgia. Interestingly, Button Gwinnett became embroiled in a political struggle after failing to win the governorship, and was killed by General Lachlan McIntosh in a fatal duel. Early in it’s history, the area’s main industry was agriculture, specifically cotton, although as the 20th century dawned and the price of cotton falling, agriculture in the area shifted to dairy farming. The completion of the Southern Railroad in 1871 and the Seaboard Air Line railroads, more towns and communities began to be built in the region. Today, the county’s incorporated areas are Lawrenceville (the county seat), Duluth, Buford, Grayson, Liburn, Norcross, Peachtree Corners, Snellville, Sugar Hill, Dacula, Suwanee, and parts of Auburn, Braselton, Loganville, and Rest Haven.
While very few of the original plantation homes remain and those that do are largely privately owned, the Gwinnett Historical Society offers a driving tour and additional information about the Elisha Winn House and the Wynne-Russell House -both open to the public.
- Total area: 437 square miles
- Recreational opportunities include the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area, Vines Botanical Gardens, the Yellow River Game Ranch, Stone Mountain Park and Lake Lanier.
- Home to several interesting museums, including the Lanier Museum of Natural History, the Gwinnett History Museum, and the Southeastern Railway Museum.
- Corporate headquarters of Waffle House, NCR Corporation, Primerica, and AGCO are all located in Gwinnett County.
- Gwinnett County Public Schools are among the best in the state.