Homes for Sale in Jackson County, Georgia
Welcome to Jackson County, Georgia
In the next tab you’ll see the current listings for Jackson County.
Jackson County is located in northeast Georgia and is known for its easy access to major thoroughfares connecting the area to Atlanta, Greenville, Athens and the University of Georgia. Jefferson, the county seat, has sought-after schools, with positive prospects for housing appreciation.
Created in 1796 and carved out from part of Franklin County, Jackson County was named after Lieutenant Colonel James Jackson, a Revolutionary War veteran. Originally the county seat was Clarkesboro, from 1796 to 1802. That changed, however, when Clarke County was created and made it necessary to move the county seat to a more central location. In 1803 a site named Thomocoggan, formerly an Indian settlement, was chosen and renamed Jefferson. It was incorporated and became the county seat in 1806.
When Jackson County was originally created, it covered more than 1,800 square miles. However, over time the county lost territory as more counties were created with its original lands. Jackson is now 343 square miles, having ceded land to create Clarke, Madison, Walton, Gwinnett, Hall, Banks, and Barrow counties.
Today, Jackson’s incorporated cities and town include Arcade, Braselton (also part of Barrow, Gwinnett, and Hall counties), Commerce, Hoschton, Maysville, Nicholson, Pendergrass, and Talmo.
- As of 2015, the estimated population of the county is 63,360.
- Located 60 miles northeast of Atlanta.
- Dr. Crawford Long, who was a resident of the county, is notable as the first surgeon to use anesthesia. There is a museum in Jefferson dedicated to his work.
- Companies operating in the county include Carter’s/OshKosh B’gosh, Bed Bath & Beyond (warehouse/e-commerce site) Kubota, Toyota, and Home Goods.
- Fourteen different sites are registered with the National Register of Historic Places.
LOOKING FOR SOMEPLACE DIFFERENT? TAKE A LOOK AT OUR OTHER COUNTIES:
Barrow | Banks | Clarke| Elbert | Franklin | Gwinnett | Hall | Hart | Madison | Oconee | Oglethorpe | Walton
No properties were found matching your criteria.