About Homes for Sale in Walton County, Georgia
Welcome to Walton County, Georgia
To the right is the tab with current listings of homes and land in Walton County, Georgia.
Walton County is located 45 miles east of Atlanta, and is known as the “Antiques Capital of Georgia.” With it’s proximity to the Atlanta-Metro area, the county draws businesses and professionals but maintains it’s Southern character with a strong historical society network and 27 locations listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Walton County, in Georgia’s Piedmont region, is the state’s forty-sixth county. The county was created by the Lottery Act of 1818 and was named for George Walton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and briefly a Georgia governor. The other two Georgia signers also have counties named after them: Lyman Hall and Button Gwinnett.
The first settlers in the county were farmers, and other support businesses grew up around the local agriculture industry. The main cash crops were cotton, grain, potatoes, and tobacco. The first industries to rise from its farming roots were cotton mills and gristmills. Post-war, Walton County suffered an economic downtown similar to other Georgia counties due to over-farming of cotton, boll weevil infestation, and the Depression. Once the region embraced a manufacturing economy, its fortunes turned to the positive.
- With 90,184 people, Walton County is the 27th most populated county in the state of Georgia out of 159 counties.
- Total area: 330 square miles.
- In 2015, the median household income of Walton County residents was $54,453.
- The Blue Willow Inn, located in Social Circle, was frequented by Margaret Mitchell during her courtship with her first husband, Redd Upshaw. Mr. Upshaw was the character basis for Rhett Butler.
- Residents enjoy a low cost of living and a positive job growth outlook.
LOOKING FOR SOMEPLACE DIFFERENT? TAKE A LOOK AT OUR OTHER COUNTIES:
Barrow | Banks | Clarke| Elbert | Franklin | Gwinnett | Hall | Hart | Jackson | Madison | Oconee | Oglethorpe | Walton